Alexis Bledel is a famous American model, actress and producer, who shot to fame with the hit television series, ‘Gilmore Girls’. Her ability to baby-talk and her charismatic personality won the hearts of millions around the world and earned her a number of roles in coming-of-age series’ and movies. Apart from appearing in ‘Gilmore Girls’, she was also seen in ‘The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants’, ‘The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2’, ‘Sin City’ and ‘Tuck Everlasting’. Before she became an actress, she was a budding model and posed for years in front of the camera and has appeared on the covers of a number of mainstream magazines including ‘Teen People’, ‘TV Guide’, ‘Latina’, ‘Entertainment Weekly’, ‘WWD’ and ‘Elle Girl’. She started her modeling career when she was in high school and has since then, traveled to a number of locations around the world including Tokyo, Milan, New York and Los Angeles. Sometime during the peak of her career, she admitted that she did not want to make a full-time commitment with roles on television because she felt that being in front of the camera was a ‘tedious’ and an ‘all-consuming’ job. She instead wanted to focus her energies on films and modeling.
- Kimberly Alexis Bledel was born to Nanette and Martin Bledel in Houston, Texas. She has a younger brother, Eric. Her family is not of American origin and is primarily from Argentina. Alexis is of Scottish-English-Dutch-Latin American ancestry.She grew up in a Spanish household and learnt English only when she was in school. To date, Bledel considers herself a Latina.She studied at St. Agnes Academy in Houston and other Baptist and Lutheran schools. As a child, she was a very shy girl and in order to overcome that nervousness, her mother asked her to take up theater classes.She soon began appearing in a number of school and local productions including ‘Our Town’ and ‘The Wizard of Oz’.She was spotted at a local mall and was offered to work as a fashion model. She soon rose to fame and went to Page Parkes Center for Modeling and Acting and also studied at Tisch School of the Arts at the New York University for a year.In 1998, she appeared in an uncredited role as a student in the film, ‘Rushmore’.Career
- She made her television debut as ‘Rory Gilmore’, the lead protagonist, in the hit American series, ‘Gilmore Girls’, in 2000. Two years later, she was cast as Winnie Jackson Foster in the film, ‘Tuck Everlasting’.In 2004, she starred in ‘DysEnchanted’, a short film and ‘Bride and Prejudice’. She earned critical acclaim for her role as ‘Becky’, the prostitute, for ‘Sin City’ the next year and as ‘Lena Kaligaris’ for ‘The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants’.She co-starred with Jay Baruchel in ‘I’m Reed Fish’, which released in theatres on June 1, 2007. This was also the last year, she starred as ‘Rory Gilmore’ in the popular series, ‘Gilmore Girls’, ending her seven year spell with the show.In 2008, she reprised her role of ‘Lena Kaligaris’ in the sequel of ‘The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants’ titled, ‘The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2’. She acted in three movies the following year titled, ‘The Good Guy’, ‘Post Grad’ and ‘The Ballad of G.I. Joe’.In 2009, apart from filming, she signed a contract with the modeling department of IMG. She also appeared as ‘Dr. Julia Wise’ in an episode of the television series, ‘ER’.In 2010, she starred in ‘The Conspirator’ as ‘Sarah Weston’. The movie was critically acclaimed and was showcased at the Toronto International Film Festival. The movie was released for theatrical viewing on April 15th the following year.Also, in 2010, she was seen in the films, ‘The Kate Logan Affair’ and ‘Girl Walks into a Bar’, the latter was premiered on YouTube.In 2011, she was cast as ‘Violet’ in ‘Violet & Daisy’ and also appeared in a theatre production, ‘Love, Loss, and What I Wore’. The next year, she acted in the film, ‘The Brass Teapot’.She was seen in three important episodes of the hit-American television series, ‘Mad Men’, as ‘Beth Dawes’, in 2012. The same year, she was cast as ‘Chrissie Myers’ in the theater production, ‘Regrets’.In 2013, she appeared in ‘Remember Sunday’, a telefilm and also appeared in the television show, ‘Us & Them’ in the lead role. She is currently working on two other films, ‘Parts per Billion’ and ‘The Letters’.Major Works
- She played the role of the lead protagonist, ‘Rory Gilmore’ for the comedy-drama television series, ‘Gilmore Girls’. This WB show earned widespread critical acclaim and ran for a successful seven years from 2000 to 2007. After 153 episodes and 7 successful seasons, the show earned a number of critical awards especially the Emmy Award and was placed in the ‘Entertainment Weekly’s’ list of ‘New TV Classics’ at no. 32. The show is also featured on Time’s list of ‘All-TIME 100 TV Shows’.Awards & Achievements
- She won the Young Artist Awards for ‘Best Performance in a TV Drama Series – Leading Young Actress’ for ‘Gilmore Girls’, in 2001.She was presented the Family Television Awards for ‘Best Actress’ for ‘Gilmore Girls’, in 2002.In 2002, she was rated one of ‘25 Hottest Stars Under 25’, by Teen People Magazine.She won the Teen Choice Awards for ‘TV-Choice Comedy Actress’ for ‘Gilmore Girls’, in 2005 and 2006, consecutively.Personal Life & Legacy
- She dated Milo Ventimiglia, her ‘Gilmore Girls’ co-star from 2002 to 2006. However, the two split up.In 2012, she asked her fans to support the re-election of President Barack Obama.She secretely married her ‘Mad Men’ co-star, Vincent Kartheiser in June 2014.Apart from films, she loves watching World Equestrian Games, enjoys photography, writing and spending time with her family.Trivia
- This famous American actress and model hates coffee in real life, but in ‘reel’ life, her character, ‘Rory Gilmore’ consumed coffee on a daily basis.
How To CiteArticle Title- Alexis Bledel BiographyAuthor- Editors @ TheFamousPeople.comWebsite Name- TheFamousPeople.comURLLast Updated- February 18, 2016
People Also Viewed
Pictures of Alexis BledelAlso Listed In