- Business People(60)
- Film & Theater Personalities(331)
- Food Experts(4)
- Intellectuals & Academics(124)
- Media Personalities(47)
John the Baptist is regarded as the forerunner of Jesus Christ. With this biography, explore his childhood and life.
John The Baptist
Also Listed In: Spiritual & Religious Leaders
Famous as: Jewish Preacher
religion: Roman Catholic
Born in: Jerusalem
place of death: Machaerus
Works & Achievements: John the Baptist was a Prophet and an immediate forerunner of Jesus Christ. He baptized Jesus Christ and proclaimed Him to be the Messiah of the people
John the Baptist is regarded as the precursor of Jesus Christ. A very well-known preacher, he gave sermons about the proximity of God's Final Judgment. He asked people to repent for their sins and baptized those who apologized in self-preparation for the Lord to come. According to the Scriptures, it was John only who recognized Jesus and decreed Him as the Messiah of the people. The four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John), the Acts of the Apostles, and the Jewish historian Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews comprise of the only sources of information about the life of John the Baptist.
- September 23 - Conception of St. John the Forerunner
- January 7 - The Synaxis of St. John the Forerunner (It is the main feast day, immediately after Theophany, on January 6. The day also stands for the transfer of the relic of the right hand of John the Baptist, from Antioch to Constantinople, in 956)
- February 24 - First and Second Finding of the Head of St. John the Forerunner
- May 25 - Third Finding of the Head of St. John the Forerunner
- June 24 - Nativity of St. John the Forerunner
- August 29 - Beheading of St. John the Forerunner
Other Important Feast Days
- September 5 - Commemoration of Zechariah and Elisabeth, St. John's parents
- October 12 - According to the Russian Orthodox Church, the day is observed as the Transfer of the Right Hand of the Forerunner from Malta to Gatchina
- St. John The Baptist Church, Štorje, Slovenia.
- Maronite Catholic Monastery of Saint John the Baptist, Beit Mery, Lebanon
- Armenian Apostolic Monastery of Gandzasar, Nagorno Karabakh
- Romanian Skete Prodromos (the name is the Greek for "The Forerunner"), on Mount Athos (holding relics believed to be of John the Baptist)
- St John's College of The University of Oxford, Oxford, England
- Puerto Rico was originally named San Juan Bautista; San Juan (then called Puerto Rico) is now its capital city.
- St. John's, Newfoundland (founded on John's feast day - June 24, 1497)
- San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico (founded on June 24, 1531)
- Saint John, New Brunswick (named after the Saint John River, which was named by Samuel de Champlain)
- St. John's University, in Queens, New York (It is the second largest Roman Catholic university in the United States)
- Saint John's University, in Collegeville, MN (It is a Roman Catholic-Benedictine liberal arts university)
- Fête nationale du Québec - also known as la St- Jean-Baptiste - is the provincial holiday of Quebec, celebrated on June 24 of every year.
- Prince Edward Island, a Canadian province, was originally called Île de St-Jean or St. John's Island.
- St. John's wort is named after St. John, because it is traditionally harvested on his feast day - June 24
- 12th century cathedral in Kamieñ Pomorski (Poland) with a famous 17th century organ
- St. John's Regional College in Dandenong Melbourne (Australia)
- St. John the Baptist Parish in the southern portion of the American state of Louisiana (In Louisiana, a civil parish is equivalent to a county elsewhere in North America)
- St. John's Avenue in Staten Island, New York,
- St. John Ambulance and the Venerable Order of St. John
- Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes and of Malta (commonly referred to as the Sovereign Military Order of Malta)
- Mission San Juan Bautista, one of the original 18th century missions in northern California.
- St. John the Baptist Mission, Clatskanie, Oregon
- Two churches in Ein Karem, the traditional place of his birth
- Armenian Apostolic Church of St. John the Baptist, Gandzasar Monastery, Nagorno Karabakh
- Basilica of St. John Lateran
- St. John the Baptist of Coventry
- St. John the Baptist at St. John's, Newfoundland (Basilica-Cathedral)
- San Giovanni Battista di Rimini (Cathedral)
- San Giovanni Battista di Torino (Cathedral)
- Saint-Jean-Baptiste d'Audresselles
- St. John's Cathedral of Valletta
- Saint-John-Baptiste, Christian Quarter Road, Old City , Jerusalem
- Church of St. John the Baptist, Mudgee, New South Wales, Australia
- St. John's (Episcopal) Church, Elizabeth, New Jersey
- Chapel of St. John the Baptist (Capela de São João Baptista), 18th century, (in the Igreja de São Roque - Lisbon)
- Cathedral of St John the Baptist, Warsaw, Poland. Coronation and Burial Site of Stanislaw August Poniatowski, last King of Poland.
- Monastery of St John The Baptist Bigorski, Macedonia
- Cathedral of St John the Baptist in Charleston, South Carolina
Videos About John The Baptist