2002 - He won black reel award for best supporting actor role
2004 - He won Academy award for Best Actor
2004 - He won black reel award for best supporting actor.
2004 - He won Florida Film Critics Circle Award for best actor
2004 - He Won Hollywood Breakthrough Award for Breakthrough Actor
2004 - He won the Boston Society of Film Critics Awards for best actor
2005 - He won BAFTA award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
2005 - He won BET award for best actor.
2005 - Black Reel Award for best actor.
2005 - He was awarded the Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards for best actor
2005 - He Won Golden Globe Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture
2005 - He won Kansas City Film Critics Circle Award for best actor
2005 - He won Sierra Award for Best Actor
2006 - He won American Music Award for Male artist
2006 - He won Grammy award for the Best Rap Solo Performance
2006 - Won Image award for Outstanding Male Artist
2006 - Won Soul Train Award for the Best Music Video
2009 - He won Image award for Outstanding Male Artist
2009 - He won Soul Train Awards for Record of the Year
2009 - He received BET award for Best Collaboration
2010 - He won Grammy award for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group
2013 - He Won Generation Award
Eric Marlon Bishop, better known by his screen name Jamie Foxx, is a multifaceted entertainer—he is an actor, comedian, musician and radio host all rolled into one. He was a very talented youngster at school and participated in a variety of activities. His musical abilities were evident from childhood and he began playing the piano when he was just five. He was also a top ranking student and skilled at playing sports like basketball and football. As a teenager he also sang for a music band and was often appreciated for his ability to make his classmates laugh. He began his career as a stand-up comedian before moving on to acting. He was chosen to play a football player in the film ‘Any Given Sunday’ because of his sporting background. More film roles followed and he reached the peak of his acting career with the biopic ‘Ray’ for which he won an Academy Award and also a BAFTA Award. In addition to being a successful actor, he is also a Grammy Award winning musician who has released four albums, out of which two were accredited platinum status. This talented entertainer had also had his share of controversies due his brushes with the law and for his insensitive comments about other performers.
- He was born as the son of Louise Annette Talley and Darrell Bishop. His parents separated when he was young and he was brought up by his maternal grandparents in a racially segregated community.He was musically inclined from childhood and started playing the piano when he was five. He also had a knack for telling jokes and making people laugh.He attended Terrell High School. He was academically brilliant and was very skilled at playing sports like football and basketball. He also played music with a band called Leather and Lace.He earned a scholarship to the United States International University to study classical music and composition.Career
- He started performing stand-up comedy in 1989. During this time he adopted the name Jamie Foxx as his professional name.His acting career began in 1991 when he joined the cast of the sketch comedy television series ‘In Living Color’ where he appeared as a recurring character in 95 episodes.He made his movie debut in 1992 as Baker in the fantasy comedy movie ‘Toys’. The film was a box office failure and could not help launch his Hollywood career.He released his debut music album ‘Peep This’ in 1994. The album reached No. 78 on the U.S. Billboard 200. It would be 11 years before he brought out another album.He got his first substantial movie role in 1999 when he was cast as footballer Willie Beamen in ‘Any Given Sunday’. Since the actor had played football during his younger days, he performed this role to perfection and was hugely appreciated for it.He co-created and starred in his own television sitcom ‘The Jamie Foxx Show’ that aired on WB Network from 1996 to 2001. The cast also included Garcelle Beauvais, Christopher Duncan and Garrett Morris. The show was highly successful.The year 2004 was a great year for him. He acted as a taxi driver who is taken hostage in the movie ‘Collateral’, while he portrayed the musician Ray Charles in the biopic ‘Ray’. Both the movies were critically acclaimed.He brought out his second album ‘Unpredictable’ in 2005. The album debuted at No.2 on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart eventually moving up to No.1.His fame as an actor as well as singer ensured that he got flooded with movie offers throughout the decade. His notable films during the 2000s were ‘Stealth’ (2005), ‘Miami Vice’ (2006), and ‘The Soloist’ (2009).His third album, ‘Intuition’ was out in 2008. It reached the top three on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart and featured several guest artists like Kanye West, Fabolous and T-Pain.His latest album, ‘Best Night of My Life’ was released in 2010. It featured the single ‘Winner’ and peaked at No.6 on the U.S. Billboard 200.A much sought after star, he has acted in several movies recently, the best known of which include ‘Rio’ (2011), ‘Django Unchained’ (2012), and ‘White House Down’ (2013). He is also currently working on many other future projects.Major Works
- He played the title character in the biographical film ‘Ray’ which was based on the life of the rhythm and blues musician Ray Charles. The film was critically acclaimed and won several prestigious awards.Awards & Achievements
- He won the Academy Award for Best Actor in 2004 for his role in the film ‘Ray’. He also won the BAFTA Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role for the same film in 2005.He, along with musician T-Pain, won the Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group for ‘Blame It’ in 2010.Personal Life & Legacy
- He has been romantically involved with a number of women. He has two daughters from his past relationships.Trivia
- He is only the third black male actor to have won the Academy Award for the Best Actor in a leading role; the other two being Sidney Poitier and Denzel Washington.
How To CiteArticle Title- Jamie Foxx BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURLLast Updated- July 25, 2017
People Also ViewedAlso Listed In20th Century | 21st Century | 20th Century Musicians | 20th Century Singers | 20th Century Film & Theater Personalities | 20th Century Actors | 20th Century Comedians | 21st Century Singers | 21st Century Film & Theater Personalities | 21st Century Actors | 21st Century Musicians | 21st Century Comedians | 20th Century American Musicians | 20th Century American Singers | 20th Century American Film & Theater Personalities | 20th Century American Actors | 21st Century American Singers | 21st Century American Film & Theater Personalities