Hilary Duff is one of the most versatile American personalities of the current generation. In just two decades long career, Duff has shown her mettle as an actor, singer, fashion designer, entrepreneur and author. A creative all-rounder, Duff easily made the transition from being a child actor to a teenage sensation and now a popular young adult. She is a powerhouse of talent and skill and that was seen early in her work. After a couple of guest roles, Duff’s first tasted international success with the Disney channel series ‘Lizzie McGuire’. The show was a huge hit and soon branded Duff as a teen idol. While her acting career had kick-started, Duff soon thought of giving wings to her passion for singing. She released her debut album ‘Santa Claus Lane’ in October 2002 to much fanfare and appreciation. Ever since then, Duff has become a household name. Today, she is more than a dozen films and televisions series old and has five studio albums in her kitty. She has also authored a trilogy, comprising of novels ‘Elixir, ‘Devoted’ and ‘True’.
- Hilary Duff was born on September 28, 1987 in Houston, Texas to Robert Erhard Duff and Susan Colleen. His father owned a chain of convenience stores. She has an older sibling, Haylie. Hillary was mostly homeschooled.Encouraged by their mother, the Duff sisters enrolled in acting, singing and ballet classes. They also took up roles in local theatre productions. The passion for performing arts only heightened over the following years as the sisters decided to make career out of it. Together with their mother, they moved to California in 1993.Career
- Upon reaching California, the Duff sisters tried their luck as an actor and model. Initially, the sisters appeared in several television commercials and modelled for various clothing brands. Hilary played minor uncredited roles in several television series including ‘True Women’ and ‘Playing by Heart’.In 1998, she received her first major role as Wendy for the film ‘Casper Meets Wendy’, based on the Harvey Comics characters. She next appeared in an episode of the CBS medical drama ‘Chicago Hope’.The big breakthrough of her career came in January 2001 when she appeared in a titular role in the Disney channel series ‘Lizzie McGuire’. The series was a major hit and the show made her a teen idol and adolescent sensation instantly. Such was the rage and popularity of the show that Disney earned an estimated $100 million from the show's merchandise.Following the tremendous success of ‘Lizzie McGuire’, Hilary made her debut on the big screen with the film ‘Human Nature’ in 2002. Same year, she starred in the Disney Channel television film ‘Cadet Kelly’, which became the network's most watched program in its 19-year history.Concurrently to her acting career, Duff’s career in singing also commenced. She recorded her debut album ‘Santa Claus Lane’ in 2002. The album went on to receive a Gold certification from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA)2003 was a successful year for Hilary Duff. She starred in three films, including children's action comedy film ‘Agent Cody Banks’ and her highest grossing film to date ‘Cheaper by the Dozen’. Furthermore, she reprised her role as Lizzie McGuire for ‘The Lizzie McGuire Movie’. Her second studio album ‘Metamorphosis’ released in the same year. With over three million copies sold in US alone, it became her highest selling album to date and earning a 3x Platinum certification from the RIAA.Following the grand success of her second studio album, Duff came up with her third studio album ‘Hillary Duff’ in 2004. Same year, she ventured further and launched her first clothing line, ‘Stuff by Hilary Duff’ which lasted until 2008. Next, she was seen in 2005 flick ‘The Perfect Man’. Simultaneously, she released her first compilation album ‘Most Wanted’, which debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, selling over one million copies in just a month.Raving to go further, Duff released her first perfume, ‘With Love... Hilary Duff’ in September 2006. No sooner, the fragrance became one of the three best-selling fragrances launched in department stores in 2006.In 2007, Duff came up with her fourth studio album ‘Dignity’. A dance and electropop sound album, it received much critical acclaim for its lyrical content and musical direction. It debuted at number 3 on the Billboard 200.In 2008, Hilary Duff featured in the political satire film, ‘War, Inc’ wherein she portrayed the role of an ‘oversexed’ Central Asian pop star Yonica Babyyeah. Following year, she was seen playing the protagonist in the films ‘According to Greta’ and ‘What Goes Up’She was seen playing a recurring role for the hit television series ‘Gossip Girl’ and also won an award for it. She showed up in an episode for the NBC sitcom ‘Community’.In 2010, Hilary Duff did a variety of roles. She appeared in the television film ‘Beauty & the Briefcase’ and in the comedies ‘Stay Cool’ and ‘She Wants Me’. She made her presence felt in small screen with the FOX sitcom ‘Raising Hope’ and a guest appearance in the CBS sitcom ‘Two and a Half Men’.Having made her mark as an actor, singer, entrepreneur and fashionista, the next on cards for Hilary Duff was as a novelist. Collaborating with Elise Allen, she came up with the New York Times bestseller ‘Elixir’. The success of her debut writing venture led her to come up with its sequel ‘Devoted’ in October 2011. She finished her Elixir trilogy with her final book till date ‘True’.In March 2015, Duff made her first starring role in a television series for comedy-drama ‘Younger’ opposite Sutton Foster. The show opened to positive reviews from the critics and has been renewed for its fourth season. Concurrently, Duff released her fifth studio album ‘Breathe In. Breathe Out’. It debuted at number 5 on the Billboard 200, becoming her fifth top five albums.Duff’s upcoming projects include a new album that would be sharply in contrast to her last album, ‘Breathe In. Breathe Out’ with a ‘darker and heavier tone’.Major Works
- Hilary Duff’s breakthrough as an actress came for the Disney Channel comedy series ‘Lizzie McGuire’. Her role as titular character earned her numerous accolades and appreciation. The series was such a big hit that a film adaptation of the series was released later.Hilary’s career as a singer began with her debut Christmas album ‘Santa Claus Lane’. However, it was her second studio album, ‘Metamorphosis’ in 2003 that reaffirmed her status as a star performer and singer. The album achieved much critical and commercial success, topping the Billboard 200 and selling over three million copies in the United States alone.Awards & Achievements
- Hilary Duff received a Young Artist Award for Best Performance in a TV Movie or Pilot (Supporting Young Actress) for television film ‘The Soul Collector’.In 2010, she won a Teen Choice Award for Best Female Scene Stealer for her appearance on ‘Gossip Girl’.Personal Life & Legacy
- Hilary Duff’s personal life has been in the news frequently. She dated a lot of men including Aaron Carter and Joel Madden before finally settling down with Mike Comrie. The duo got married in August 2010. The couple was blessed with a son, named Luca Cruz Comrie, in March 2012.In 2014, Hilary Duff and Comrie amicably separated, continuing to co-parent their son until February 2015, when Hilary filed for divorce. She requested primary physical and legal joint custody of their son. The divorce was finalized in February 2016.Hilary has been involved in a lot of philanthropic activities. She has supported various charitable institutions and NGOs. She is a strong animal rights activist and has been a supporter of various kids’ campaigns.
How To CiteArticle Title- Hilary Duff BiographyAuthor- Editors @ TheFamousPeople.comWebsite Name- TheFamousPeople.comURLLast Updated- February 08, 2017
People Also Viewed
Pictures of Hilary DuffPrevious NextImage Credithttp://www.gotceleb.com/hilary-duff-2014-iheartradio-music-festival-in-vegas-2014-09-23.html/hilary-duff-2014-iheartradio-music-festival-08Image Credithttp://www.inquisitr.com/2680397/hilary-duff-says-marriage-not-important-after-splitting-from-ex-husband-would-happily-have-another-child/Image Credithttps://speakerpedia.com/speakers/hilary-duffAlso Listed In20th Century | 21st Century | 20th Century Singers | 20th Century Film & Theater Personalities | 20th Century Actresses | 21st Century Singers | 21st Century Film & Theater Personalities | 21st Century Actresses | 20th Century American Singers | 20th Century American Film & Theater Personalities | 21st Century American Singers | 21st Century American Film & Theater Personalities