Fetty Wap is an American singer and rapper who became a household name across the United States after the success of his hit single ‘Trap Queen’. The song went on to be played millions of times on the music sharing platform ‘SoundCloud’. He was really passionate about rapping and singing since a very young age. His single ‘Trap Queen’ alone took Fetty Wap to great heights and earned him more than a dozen nominations, including the prestigious ‘Grammy’. He hasn’t been in the music scene for too long, yet Fetty Wap’s contribution to music has been recognized by the jury of several awards. He has also joined hands with several other musicians such as French Montana for a couple of mixtapes. He also worked on a single with the popular girl band ‘Fifth Harmony’, a favourite among many teens. Recently, Fetty Wap claimed that a game dedicated to him would be released.
- He was born on 7 June, 1991 in Paterson, New Jersey and grew up in the same city. He was originally christened Willie Maxwell by his parents. It is believed that he inherited his talent from his mother. Willie Maxwell pursued his primary education at the ‘Eastside High School’, situated in New Jersey.Willie Maxwell lost his vision in the left eye at a young age due to a freaky accident. The damaged eye was later replaced with an artificial piece through ‘Ocular Prosthesis’.Career
- He became inclined towards music and soon started Rapping. However, very soon he wanted to try singing and do something ‘out of the box’.His gigs helped him earn quite a bit of money and soon he was fondly nicknamed ‘Fetty’, a synonym for money. He adopted the surname Wop from ‘GuWop’, an alias of his idol and famous rapper, Gucci Mane.The song ‘Trap Queen’ from his independent album was released in early 2014. Although the song didn’t make any news for the first few months, it went viral in November that year. It was uploaded on the music sharing website ‘SoundCloud.com’ and was played a record 130 million times by various users.The success of his track helped Fetty Wop fetch a deal with the record label ‘300 Entertainment’He uploaded his second single, titled ‘679’ on YouTube, in May 2015 and a month later, the song was commercially released for the public. The song went on to secure the fourth spot in the ‘Hot 100’ countdown.The single ‘My Way’ was Fetty Wap’s next work, which received immense critical acclaim and went on to become a ‘Billboard Top 100’ chartbuster. The track was later remixed by the acclaimed rapper Drake.‘Fetty Wap’, his first album backed by a studio, was released in September 2015. The tracks of this compilation were well received by music lovers and secured the number one spot in the US ‘Billboard 200’ chart. Thousands of copies of this album were sold among the public.In November 2015, Fetty Wap released a single called ‘Jimmy Choo’ on the music sharing site ‘SoundCloud’, but it didn’t make much noise initially. Soon, a video featuring two girls dancing to the song’s tunes was posted on ‘Vine’, which helped it gain traction.Fetty Wap collaborated with another noted American hip-hop artiste, French Montana, for two mixtapes titled ‘Coke Zoo’ and ‘ZOO 16: The Mixtape’, which received tremendous critical acclaim.The popularity of the song among music lovers resulted in its official release in February 2016. In a matter of a few days, the song secured the 69th spot on the ‘Billboard Hot 100’. The single created a whole new record, since more than 35,000 copies of the same were sold in the very first week.Fetty Wap also collaborated with the girl band ‘Fifth Harmony’ for a single called ‘All in my head’.Major Works
- Fetty Wap is best known for his hit single ‘Trap Queen’, which was played more than 10 million times on ‘SoundCloud’. It was also awarded the ‘Platinum Record’ certificate by the ‘Recording Industry Association of America’, popularly known as ‘RIAA’. The certificate is given in honour of those albums and singles which have generated sales of at least a million copies.Awards & Achievements
- In 2015, Fetty Wap bagged a ‘MC100 Award’, ‘MTV Video Music Award’ and ‘BET Hip Hop Award’ respectively. He was awarded two of these for his hit single ‘Trap Queen’ alone.The track ‘Trap Queen’ earned him two nominations at the prestigious ‘Grammy Awards’ ceremony in 2016. The same year, he won the ‘Best New Artist’ and ‘Top New Artist’, at the ‘iHeart Radio Music Awards’ and the ‘Billboard Music Awards’ ceremonies respectively.He was also nominated for 3 awards at the ‘American Music Awards’ ceremony 2016.He was nominated for approximately 10 awards during the 2016 ‘Billboard Music Awards’ ceremony, 4 of which were for ‘Trap Queen’ alone.Personal Life & Legacy
- Fetty Wap also has a brother who too is a prolific singer. Apparently, his brother too influenced Fetty Wap in his music journey.He has been in a relationship with actress Masika Kalysha, who shot to fame due to her appearance in the television show ‘Love & Hip-Hop: Hollywood’ and the couple are now parents to a baby girl named Khari. Fetty Wap has 3 children in total.He once acknowledged that he mostly relies on the ‘auto tune’ technique while recording his tracks and had even called himself ‘Ignorant R&B’.Fetty Wap expressed his love for Haiti and its people in one of his interviews. He also added that he has adopted several pivotal aspects of Haiti’s culture.Quite often, he has stated that acclaimed American rapper Gucci Mane has been a great source of inspiration and in a way, partly responsible for his success.Trivia
- There have been numerous speculations that Fetty Wap was trapped by his partner Masika Kalysha, after he got her pregnant. However, she has rubbished these claims.
How To CiteArticle Title- Fetty Wap BiographyAuthor- Editors @ TheFamousPeople.comWebsite Name- TheFamousPeople.comURLLast Updated- February 19, 2017
People Also ViewedAlso Listed In