Christopher Anthony Martin, better known to his fans as Chris Martin is a co-founder and talented member of the alternative rock band Coldplay, who not only sings the vocals, but also plays the rhythm guitar, harmonica, keyboards and piano. The son of a music teacher, he grew up a music lover and formed his first band in prep school. While in the university, he met and collaborated with aspiring musician Jonny Buckland to form the alternative rock band Coldplay. The band became a smash hit with its debut album ‘Parachutes’ which went on to win the Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album in 2002. It was also a big commercial hit that established the debutants as talented musicians. The band released many other hit albums over the years. Martin has also performed as a solo artist, writing a number of songs like ‘Gravity’ and ‘See It in a Boy’s Eyes’. Along with alternative rock, he is also interested in hip-hop and performed with Jay-Z in his comeback album ‘Kingdom Come’. He has performed in collaboration with the singers Swizz Beatz and Kayne West also. Martin declared the Scottish rock band ‘Travis’ as his major influence and stated that he drew inspiration from it for starting his own band.
- Chris Martin was born in Whitestone, England to an accountant Anthony Martin and a music teacher Aliston Martin. He is the eldest and has four younger siblings.Being the son of a music teacher, he always held music close to his heart. He attended the preparatory Exeter Cathedral School and formed his first music band which was met with disapproval from his audience.After prep school he went to Sherborne School in Dorset where he met Phil Harvey who would become his band’s manager in future.He enrolled at the University College London where he studied Ancient World Studies, Greek and Latin. He graduated with First Class honours. Here he met other hopeful musicians, notably, Jonny Buckland and Will Champion.Career
- Along with his university friend Jonny Buckland, he formed an alternative rock band Starfish which included his other university mates Will Champion and Guy Berryman as members. They later changed the band name to Coldplay.The band’s debut album, ‘Parachutes’ was released in 2000 which became an instant hit. It included the singles ‘Shiver’, ‘Trouble’, and ‘Yellow’. The album sold very well and went multi-platinum in Britain, U.S. and Australia.Their second album ‘A Rush of Blood to the Head’ was released in 2002. The album was critically acclaimed and won several domestic and international musical awards.Propelled by the success of the band’s albums, Martin began his solo career in 2002. He sang the vocals in the album of other artists like Faultline, Ron Sexsmith and Ian McCulloch.In 2004, he sang ‘Gravity’ for the English band Embrace and ‘Do you know it’s Christmas?’ for the charity group BandAid 20.Released in 2005, Coldplay’s third album ‘X&Y’ featured the hit singles ‘Speed of Sound’, and ‘Clocks’. The album was a big commercial success and was called fresh and emotional.The year 2006 was a good one for his solo career. He collaborated with other prominent artists like Nelly Furtado, Michael Stipe and Jay-Z and sang many vocals for their albums.He co-wrote songs, played the piano, and sung the vocals for the single ‘Homecoming’ in Kayne West’s album ‘Graduation’ in 2007.The band’s fourth studio album, ‘Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends’ was released in 2008. This album differed from its predecessors as it used a variety of musical styles like tribal music, and honky-tonk piano.In 2011, the band’s fifth album, ‘Mylo Xyloto’ was released. It was a concept album "based on a love story with a happy ending” in Martin’s words. The album received mostly positive reviews.He has also made some cameo appearances in television shows and films.Major Works
- Coldplay’s debut album, ‘Parachutes’ released in 2000 was a big hit that topped the music charts in U.K. and performed very well internationally. The album won the Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album and went multi-platinum in the U.S.The band’s 2002 album, ‘A Rush of Blood to the Head’ was critically acclaimed and won the band its second Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album. The album sold even more copies than its predecessor.Coldplay’s third album, ‘X&Y’ (2005) was also a major hit like the previous ones. The album elicited positive reviews from critics and debuted at number one in both UK Albums Chart and US Billboard 200.Awards & Achievements
- His band Coldplay has received seven Grammy Awards till date. The Grammy Awards are presented annually by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences for outstanding achievements in the record industry.Coldplay has received two Juno Awards (2006 and 2009) which are given primarily to honour Canadian musical artists and bands.In 2009, Coldpay won the Ivor Novella Award for Best Selling British Song for their song ‘Viva La Vida’ from the album ‘Viva La Vida or Death and All of His Friends’.Personal Life & Legacy
- He married actress and singer Gwyneth Paltrow in 2003. They have two children.He is a vocal supporter of the campaign ‘Make Trade Fair’ organized by Oxfam International to promote fair trade among governments, institutions and corporations.Trivia
- He is a teetotaler and does not smoke.He was named the World's Sexiest Vegetarian in 2005 by PETA although he is not a vegetarian.He is good friends with actor and producer Simon Pegg.
How To CiteArticle Title- Chris Martin BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURLLast Updated- July 27, 2017
People Also Viewed
Pictures of Chris MartinPrevious NextImage Credithttp://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/04/18/coldplay-gigs-chris-martin-gwyneth-paltrow_n_5172028.htmlImage Credithttp://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00069862.htmlImage Credithttp://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/26/gwyneth-paltrow-chris-martin-love-split_n_5034249.htmlAlso Listed In