2007 - Grammy Award for Best New Artist
2008 - People's Choice Award for Favorite Star Under 35
2005 - Teen Choice Award for Choice TV Reality/Variety Star-Female
Carrie Underwood is a contemporary American country singer. Hailing from a small town, this singer took her first step towards stardom after winning a reality contest. Despite her short physical build, her voice could deliver amazingly high notes. Most of her songs were about the various facets of love while some were spiritual. When she first burst into country singing, there were many female singers who had already made their mark, but she could stand up to the challenge. She has been the recipient of every conceivable award that the music industry offers - the Grammy Awards, the Billboard Music Awards, the Academy of Country Music Awards, the American Music Awards, the Country Music Association Awards, Incorporation Awards and one Golden Globe nomination - all in a short span of time. Her popularity is not merely confined to America. She has a huge fan following in Canada, U.K and Europe too. Despite these accolades, her songs have been criticized for being standard fare and that all of them sound similar. She has put her celebrity status to good use with her philanthropic efforts. She is an enthusiastic animal rights activist, an advocate of gay marriage and supports cancer research with her fund raisers.
- Carrie Underwood and her two older sisters were raised in a farm in Checotah, Oklahoma by her parents - Stephen and Carole Underwood. Her mother was an elementary school teacher and her father, a sawmill worker.She attended Checotah High School where she played basketball and softball. She auditioned for Capitol Records, but nothing came out of it.After passing out of high school, she joined Northeastern State University in Oklahoma where she pursued mass communication. She graduated in 2006.Career
- In 2004, Carrie Underwood auditioned for the reality show, ‘American Idol’ and won Season 4 and earned herself a recording contract.The singer debuted with the release of the single, ‘Inside Your Heaven’ in June, 2005. It reached No.1 straightaway on the Billboard Hot 100. It became the longest running single in Canada that year.In December 2006, she featured on ‘The Oprah Winfrey Show’ and sang ‘For Once In My Life’, alongside stars such as Tony Bennet, Michael Buble and Josh Groban.In April 2007, the singer released the single, ‘Wasted’, that topped the Country Songs Chart and sold nearly a million copies. The single received a Gold Certification from ‘The Recording Industry Association of America’.She performed at the ‘2007 Idol Gives Back Concert’ and sang ‘I’ll Stand By You’, her version of ‘The Pretenders’ hit which entered the Billboard Chart at No. 6.In 2007, her second album, ‘Carnival Ride’, written in collaboration with Music Row writers was released. It peaked at No.1 on the Billboard and the Country Albums Charts, and the Canadian Albums Chart.In February 2008, she started her ‘Carnival Ride Tour’ which was attended by an estimated 1.2 million fans all over North America, making her the top selling female touring artiste of the year.She recorded a posthumous duet with Elvis Presley of the classic, ‘I'll Be Home For Christmas’, for the album ‘Christmas Duets’ on the request of the rock star’s ex-wife Priscilla.She surprised everyone with her acting in ‘How I Met Your Mother’, an American sitcom in 2010. The episode, watched by 10.48 million viewers, was her first foray into acting.Her ‘Play On Tour’ started in March, 2010 in Reading, Pennsylvania and ended in Michigan in 2011. She played to over 1 million fans throughout the tour – it is her largest tour to date.Her fourth album, ‘Blown Away’, released in May, 2012, was received favorably by the fans and critics alike. She wanted the album to be different and combined elements from country, pop and rock genres.She will be playing the role of ‘Maria von Trapp’ in ‘The Sound of Music’ which is based on the original Broadway musical in NBC’s live broadcast scheduled to be aired on December 5, 2013.Major Works
- In November 2005, her debut album ‘Some Hearts’ debuted at No.1 on the Billboard Country Albums, and went on to become the bestselling album in all genres, the following year.Her ‘Before He Cheats’ stayed No.1 on the Billboard’ Country Charts became the first country song to be certified multi-platinum, selling 4 million copies. It is also the fourth best-selling country song of all time.Awards & Achievements
- Carrie Underwood had a terrific winning streak of 10 Academy of Country Music Awards between 2006 and 2010, including the ‘Entertainer of the Year Award’ twice, the first woman to do so.The singer was inducted into the ‘Grand Ole Opry’ in 2008 which is considered the Home of American Music and Country’s most famous stage.She won the Grammy Awards in 2007 in the categories ‘Best New Artist’, ‘Best Female Country Vocal Performance’ for ‘Jesus, Take the Wheel’.She has won the ‘American Music Awards’ seven times out of twelve nominations between 2010 and 2012.Personal Life & Legacy
- After a series of relationships, Carrie Underwood married the professional league hockey player, Mike Fisher in 2010 in a grand ceremony which was attended by Tim McGraw, Faith Hill and many National Hockey League players.A passionate animal lover, she turned vegan at the age of thirteen as she could not stand the prospect of eating one of her own farm animals.Trivia
- Her fans call themselves Care Bears and toss stuffed bears on the stage while she’s performing.This American idol winner was voted ‘World’s Sexiest Vegetarian’ in an online poll by PETA in 2005, an honor she shared with Chris Martin, the lead vocalist of ‘Coldplay’.
How To CiteArticle Title- Carrie Underwood BiographyAuthor- Editors @ TheFamousPeople.comWebsite Name- TheFamousPeople.comURLLast Updated- October 21, 2015
People Also ViewedAlso Listed In