Canaan Banana was an eminent political leader of Zimbabwe who went on to become the country’s first black President, after the much-prolonged war of independence. A radical theologian and a Methodist minister, Banana’s early political career enjoyed an honourable status. He played an influential role in the transnational black liberation movement which toppled the white-only Smith regime and subsequently racism in the country. Despite holding ceremonial position (as real power vested with Prime Minister Robert Mugabe), Banana was instrumental in ending ethnic violence in Matebeleland by amalgamating two political parties ZANU and ZAPU. However, his remarkable reputation as a politician witnessed a major downfall when he was convicted on charges of sodomy. A disgraceful end to an honourable career, Banana was charged of sexually harassing people under him. Despite his repeated insistence, the court was convinced with the evidence against him and condemned him with ten years of imprisonment for homosexual assault. Following the sex scandal, he was stripped of his clerical rank
- Canaan Banana was born on March 5, 1936 in Essexvale, Southern Rhodesia. His father was a migrant who had emigrated to Rhodesia (the earlier name of Zimbabwe),.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.Upon acquiring his early education from the missionaries at a local school, Banana pursued his ambition of becoming a teacher by enrolling himself at Tegwani Training Institute.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.In 1962, he attained his diploma in theology from the Epworth Theological College in Salisbury. Same year, he was ordained as a United Methodist Minister.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.For a year, from 1974 to 1975, he studied at Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington, D.C.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.PUBLISHCareer
- After attaining his degree, Banana took up teaching positions at various institutions such as, Epworth Theological College, Kansai Industrial Centre, Wesley Theological Seminary and University of South Africa.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.He did not limit himself to teaching only and soon got involved in the country’s political affairs. He headed Bulawayo Council of Churches as the chairman from 1969 to 1970. For three years, from 1970 to 1973, he served as a member of the Southern Africa Urban Industrial Mission.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.Meanwhile, in 1972, he became a founding member and vice president of African National Council led by Bishop Abel Muzorewa, a position which he served until 1973. As a member of the ANC, he represented the political organization in United States and United Nations.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.Having contradictory opinions compared to Bishop Abel Muzorewa, in the latter half of 1970s, Banana joined ZANU (Zimbabwe African National Union), led by Robert Mugabe which worked fundamentally to dethrone Ian Smith’s government. Ian Smith was the Prime Minister of Zimbabwe at that point of time.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.Due to his defiant political practices, he was apprehended a number of times. What’s more, his publications which comprised of rebellious opinions were also banned. Nevertheless, he did not give up on his political pursuits.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.In 1980, following the country’s independence, Banana was elected as its first president.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.The highpoint in his term as the president came when he played an instrumental role in the merger of Zimbabwe’s two political parties, ZANU and ZAPU (Zimbabwe African People’s Union). The Unity Accord brought to an end Matebeland massacre which had caused death of more than 20000 civiliansSomething Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.In 1987, he retired from his office of the President after the then Prime Minister Robert Mugabe took over the office as the executive President.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.Post presidential term, he took up the position of a diplomat in Organisation of African Unity, which aimed at brokering peace in Liberia. He even served as the religious head in the University of Zimbabwe. He was also on the United Nations commission of eminent churchmen investigating business in South Africa.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.In 1989, he headed members of the World Council of Churches, who aimed at inhibiting apartheid in South Africa.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.In 1997, he was arrested on the charges of sodomy, when during a murder trial his former bodyguard made this startling disclosure. It came to light that during his term as president, Canaan Banana forced several men to accept his sexual advances.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.In 1999, he was sentenced to ten years in jail. He spent only six months in an open prison before moving to Great Britain where he was kept under house arrest.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.PUBLISHMajor Works
- Banana did justice to his education by making his presence felt in the arena of liberation theology with his book, ‘The Gospel According to Ghetto’. He also came up with a personalized version of ‘Lord’s Prayer’, which coerced Africans to fight against white authority.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.As President, he played a key role in the merger of ZANU and ZAPU, which brought an end to the massacre of innocent civilians.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.PUBLISHPersonal Life & Legacy
- Banana tied the nuptial knot with Janet Mbuyazwe in 1961. The couple was blessed with three sons and a daughter, namely, Michael Thabo, Nathan Sipho, Martin Mhambi Salaam and Nobuhle Beauty.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.Banana died due to cancer on November 10, 2003 at Charing Cross Hospital, Hammersmith due to cancer. His body was taken to Zimbabwe where he was buried. Despite being a former head of state, Banana did not receive full state honors due to his tainted reputation.Something Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.PUBLISHTrivia
- After coming to power as the President, Canaan Banana passed a law according to which citizens were forbidden to make jokes about his nameSomething Wrong? Help Us Clean It Up. Tell Us About It.PUBLISH
See the events in life of Canaan Banana in Chronological Order
Would You Like To Discuss Or Comment On Canaan Banana?