At a time when independent music, especially the Rock genre, was largely male dominated, Aimee proved her mettle by releasing independent albums such as ‘Voices Carry’ and ‘Whatever’. She also co-founded her own band. The music composed by this band was well acclaimed. Not just Aimee’s music, but even her style of writing lyrics was appreciated by critics and music lovers alike. Many of Aimee’s famous songs are said to be inspired from few incidents of her own life, such as her breakup with her boyfriend and her love for Basketball. Aimee became a household name after her song ‘Save Me’ from the movie ‘Magnolia’ won many nominations at prestigious award ceremonies. Aimee is also famous for being rebellious when it comes to acquiring the rights of her albums from the various music labels that she has worked with.
- Aimee Mann was born on September 8, 1960 in Richmond, Virginia. The relationship between her parents was quite sour. This led to Aimee’s kidnapping by her own mother at the age of 4. She was reunited with her father & siblings later. However, Aimee had to stay away from her disturbed mother for a long time after this incident.After undergoing bad experiences at her school at Virginia, she completed her high school from ‘The Midlothian High School’ located in the suburbs of Virginia. Aimee graduated in 1978. Right from her school days, Aimee was clear that she wanted to pursue a career related to arts.Aimee later moved to the prestigious ‘Berkley College of Music’ for her further education. She discontinued her studies mid-way to be a part of the Boston based band ‘The Young Snakes’. The band released their only album ‘Bark Along With the Young Snakes’ in the same year.Career
- In 1983, Aimee, and her then boyfriend Michael Hausman, founded a band named ‘Til Tuesday’. While Aimee was both the bassist & vocalist of this band, Michael was the drummer.’Til Tuesday’ released their first album ‘Voices Carry’ in 1985. The title track of this song fetched Aimee an award in the ‘Best New Artist’ category at the ‘MTV Video Music Awards’.The very next year ‘Til Tuesday’ released their second album named ‘Welcome Home’. This album which consisted of 10 tracks, secured the 49th position on the American music chart ‘Billboard 200’.In 1988, ‘Til Tuesday’ released another album named ‘Everything’s Different Now’. The track ‘(Believed You Were) Lucky’ from the album won Aimee a lot of appreciation. Unfortunately, the band split after the release of this album, since Aimee decided to focus on her solo career.Aimee Mann released her first solo album ‘Whatever’ in 1993. Though this album met with only moderate commercial success, it managed to win the hearts of critics. The lyrics of all the tracks were immensely praised.1995 saw the release of Aimee’s second album ‘I’m With Stupid’. This work was also well appreciated but didn’t manage to become a huge commercial success. It was said that Aimee’s displeasure of associating with her record label inspired the name of the album.1999 turned out to be one of the most eventful years of Aimee’s career. She composed the soundtrack of the blockbuster movie ‘Magnolia’. Aimee’s work fetched her nominations at the ‘Academy Awards’ and the ‘Grammy Awards’ the following year.The year 2000 saw the release of Aimee’s new album ‘Bachelor No 2’. In the same year she started a new initiative called ‘Acoustic Vadaville’, a show which was music combined with stand-up comedy.The subsequent years saw the release of three of Aimee’s albums namely ‘Lost in Space’, ‘The Forgotten Arm’, ‘One More Drifter in The Snow’ and ‘@#%&! Smilers’. ‘The Forgotten Arm’ happened to be the most acclaimed work which even won Aimee a Grammy award.Aimee Mann was one of the jury members of the ‘Independent Music Awards’ held in 2011. The ceremony is annually held to promote independent upcoming musicians.Her most recent collaboration has been with Indie rock musician Ted Leo. Ted and Aimee released their first album ‘The Both’ in 2014.Major Works
- Aimee is remembered by many as the composer of the 1999 film ‘Magnolia’. The movie was nominated in quite a few categories at the ‘72nd Academy Awards’. Aimee’s song ‘Save Me’ was one of the nominations in the ‘Best Original Song’ category.Aimee’s album ‘The Forgotten Arm’ is one of her most recognised works till date. The album is said to be a take on Aimee’s younger days and her interest in Basketball. The inspiration of the album was the era of 1970s.Awards & Achievements
- In 2000, Aimee was nominated for a ‘Sierra Award’ and an ‘OFTA award’ for her song ‘Save Me’ from ‘Magnolia’ in the ‘Best Original Song’ categories.One of the best achievements of Aimee’s career was being nominated in the ‘Best Original Song’ category at the 72nd Academy awards for the movie ‘Magnolia’.The same year, Aimee Mann was nominated for a ‘Golden Globe’ award for the film ‘Magnolia’, once again in the category of ‘Best Original Song’.The year 2001 saw Aimee being nominated for the prestigious ‘Grammy Awards’, yet again for her work in the film ‘Magnolia’.Personal Life & Legacy
- Aimee was the only girl born to her parents. She has many brothers and step-brothers, which became one of the prime reasons for her tomboyish personality.Aimee was in a relationship with Michael Hausman, who also was her classmate at the ‘Berkley College of Music’. Michael also managed Aimee’s solo music career and co-founded a band along with her, until the duo broke up by 1985. One of the tracks of the album ‘Voices Carry’ is said to be inspired by this breakup.In 1997, Aimee got married to Michael Penn, who’s also a musician. Aimee apparently knew Michael since the 1980s. The duo dated each other at the time of the album ‘Whatever’s release.Trivia
- Aimee is the sister-in-law of famous Hollywood actor and two-time Academy Award winner, Sean Penn. Sean is famous for his roles in movies like ‘Milk’ and ‘Mystic River’.
How To CiteArticle Title- Aimee Mann BiographyAuthor- Editors @ TheFamousPeople.comWebsite Name- TheFamousPeople.comURLLast Updated- January 14, 2015
People Also Viewed
Pictures of Aimee Mann
More Quotes By Aimee MannAlso Listed In